SIU Investigates Injuries Sustained by Man in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TCI-066
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TCI-066
Mississauga (15 March, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody injuries sustained by 30-year-old Raymond Costain, in Toronto, in April of 2010. The SIU learned of the incident through media reports.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• In the early morning hours of April 12, 2010, Mr. Costain was arrested on King Street East by officers with the Toronto Police Service;
• During the arrest process, he was struck a number of times;
• He was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment. Medical records show Mr. Costain was left with permanent scarring on his forehead.
A judge at Mr. Costain’s recent trial ruled that the force used by police was ‘unnecessary, unjustified and excessive’.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342