SIU Investigates Shooting Death in North York
Case Number: 13-TCD-069
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TCD-069
Mississauga (17 March, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man in his 20's in North York this evening.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9 p.m. on Sunday, March 17, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers attended the Keele Street and Sheppard Avenue area to make an arrest;
• There was an interaction between police and a man, and a short time later, the man sustained a gunshot wound. He was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342