SIU Investigates Death of Male in Timmins
Case Number: 13-OCD-072
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCD-072
Mississauga (20 March, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 67-year-old man in Timmins earlier today.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 11: 50 a.m. officers from the Timmins Police Service responded to an apartment at 860 Suzanne Street in Timmins;
• A short time after arriving at the scene, the officers reportedly heard a gunshot;
• Upon entering the apartment, a male was discovered deceased from an apparent gunshot wound.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1806 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342