SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries Near Perth
Case Number: 13-PVI-093
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PVI-093
Mississauga (10 April, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding vehicle injuries sustained by three males near Perth early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 10, 2013, an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police attempted to stop a vehicle in Perth.
• The vehicle failed to stop and later struck a hydro pole on County Road 10; approximately 10 km east of Perth.
• Three male occupants of the vehicle suffered injuries and have been transported to the Ottawa Hospital.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, three forensic investigators and an accident reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations