SIU Investigating Falling Injuries Sustained by Youth in Guelph
Case Number: 13-OCI-099
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCI-099
Mississauga (17 April, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a young male in Guelph this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17, 2013, officers with the Guelph Police Service attended a building near the intersection of Woolwich Street and Douglas Street. They had been notified that two youths were climbing up the side of the building;
• Upon arrival, there was a verbal interaction between officers and the youths;
• One of the youths fell from the side of the building to the ground, a distance of approximately 12-15 metres; and
• He was taken by ambulance to Guelph General Hospital for treatment of two broken legs.
Two investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342