SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Death in Essex
Case Number: 13-PVD-100
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PVD-100
Mississauga (18 April, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 39-year-old male in Essex early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:25 a.m. on Thursday, April 18, 2013, an Essex County Ontario Provincial Police officer attempted to stop a vehicle. The vehicle did not stop;
• A short time later, at Manning Road and County Road 46, the vehicle went off the roadway and into a ditch;
• The driver of the vehicle was transported to a Windsor hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1965 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342