SIU Investigating Shooting Injury in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TFI-106
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFI-106
Mississauga (25 April, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury sustained by a 23-year-old male shortly after midnight in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:15 a.m. on April 25, 2013, Toronto Police Service Emergency Task Force officers were executing a search warrant at a residence on Wainfleet Drive;
• There was an interaction between a male and officers. A firearm discharged, striking the male in the lower leg;
• He was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment of a non-life-threatening injury.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342