Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Scarborough Shooting Death
Case Number: 13-TFD-108
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-108
Mississauga (26 April, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is continuing to probe the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 50-year-old male this afternoon in Scarborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:45 p.m. on April 26, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers responded to the TD Bank located at 2428 Eglinton Avenue East to deal with a suspicious male;
• At some point outside of the bank, a male officer and a female officer each discharged their firearms and the man was fatally struck;
• The man was vital signs absent at the scene, and transported to the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342