SIU Investigates Death of Male in Bracebridge
Case Number: 13-PCD-051
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PCD-051
Mississauga (19 February, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 56-year-old man in Bracebridge yesterday.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9 a.m. on February 18, 2013, an Ontario Provincial Police officer traveling on Highway 118W signalled a vehicle to pull over. The vehicle drove into a McDonalds’s parking lot and came to a stop.
• When the officer approached the vehicle, he noticed the male driver was having difficulty breathing. CPR was performed and the man was taken by EMS to the South Muskoka Memorial Hospital.
• He was pronounced deceased upon arrival at the hospital.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. A post-mortem will take place this afternoon in Toronto.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342