SIU Investigates Death in Chatham
Case Number: 13-OCD-123
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCD-123
Mississauga (17 May, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police involved death in Chatham at approximately 3:40 p.m. today.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 3:36 p.m. members of the Chatham-Kent Police Service were investigating a man in the area of Richmond Street and Byne Avenue;
• The man made his way to the railroad tracks north of Richmond Street and was struck and killed by a Via train.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342