SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Hamilton
Case Number: 13-OFD-129
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OFD-129
Mississauga (7 June, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 45-year-old male this morning in Hamilton.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9:20 a.m. on June 7, 2013, officers with the Hamilton Police Service responded to the area of Upper Wentworth Street and Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway after receiving reports that a man was walking on the parkway against traffic;
• Officers commanded the man to get off the road. He did, and headed into a wooded area with officers following behind;
• As a result of an ensuing interaction between police and the man, the man sustained multiple gunshot wounds. He has been pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342