SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Hamilton
Case Number: 13-OFD-129
Mississauga (7 June, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 45-year-old male this morning in Hamilton.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9:20 a.m. on June 7, 2013, officers with the Hamilton Police Service responded to the area of Upper Wentworth Street and Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway after receiving reports that a man was walking on the parkway against traffic;
• Officers commanded the man to get off the road. He did, and headed into a wooded area with officers following behind;
• As a result of an ensuing interaction between police and the man, the man sustained multiple gunshot wounds. He has been pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations