SIU Investigating Vehicle Death in Port Hope
Case Number: 13-OOD-148
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OOD-148
(29 June, 2013) ---
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal motor vehicle collision in Port Hope late last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly before midnight on Friday, June 28, 2013, Port Hope Police Service officers attempted to stop a vehicle;
• The vehicle did not stop and proceeded westbound on Lakeshore Road;
• As the vehicle approached Shortt Street it left the roadway, struck a tree and rolled over;
• The 30-year-old male driver of the vehicle was taken by ambulance to Northumberland Hills Hospital in Cobourg; and
• He later succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU has assigned six investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342