SIU Investigates Shooting on the Oneida First Nations Reserve
Case Number: 13-PFI-192
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PFI-192
Mississauga (3 August, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a police involved shooting on the Oneida First Nations Reserve near London at approximately 11:03 AM today.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On August 2, 2013, a robbery occurred on the Oneida First Nations Reserve;
• Today, the OPP was still on the reserve investigating the robbery;
• The OPP received information that the accused was driving around with a loaded gun;
• At approximately 11:03 Am, OPP officers located the male and gun fire was exchanged; and
• The male was taken the hospital with gunshot wounds.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1872.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342