SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Gananoque Collision
Case Number: 13-OVI-206
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVI-206
Mississauga (19 August, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to a collision this past weekend in Gananoque that resulted in serious injuries to a 19-year-old man. The SIU is investigating a Gananoque Police Service officer in relation to the injuries.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9 p.m. on Saturday, August 17, 2013, a police cruiser was traveling eastbound on Highway 2/King Street West when officers observed two motorcycles traveling westbound without lights on. The cruiser proceeded to follow the motorcycles;
• Approximately three kilometres down the road, the officers located one of the motorcycle drivers on the road. It appears his motorcycle had struck a bridge that was under repair, resulting in serious injuries, including to the man’s leg and chest. He was taken to Kingston General Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1988.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342