SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Etobicoke Motorcycle Collision
Case Number: 13-TVI-210
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TVI-210
Mississauga (22 August, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to a collision yesterday afternoon in Etobicoke that resulted in serious injuries to a 24-year-old man.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, a Toronto Police Service officer was driving a marked police motorcycle northbound on Kipling Avenue;
• The officer pulled alongside a civilian motorcycle to speak with its driver. However, the driver fled;
• As the 24-year-old driver approached the intersection of Evans Avenue, his motorcycle struck a curb and he was ejected into the intersection;
• The man was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment of a broken arm and punctured lung.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342