SIU Investigating Falling Death in Hamilton
Case Number: 13-OCD-219
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCD-219
Mississauga (4 September, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the falling death of a man last night in Hamilton.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 8:40 p.m. on Tuesday, September 3, 2013, officers with the Hamilton Police Service responded after reports of a male standing on a bridge on Centennial Parkway;
• An officer spoke with the man briefly before leaving;
• A short time later, officers returned and found the man below the bridge. He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1988.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342