SIU Investigating Falling Death in Hamilton
Case Number: 13-OCD-219
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCD-219
Mississauga (4 September, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the falling death of a man last night in Hamilton.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 8:40 p.m. on Tuesday, September 3, 2013, officers with the Hamilton Police Service responded after reports of a male standing on a bridge on Centennial Parkway;
• An officer spoke with the man briefly before leaving;
• A short time later, officers returned and found the man below the bridge. He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1988.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342