SIU Investigating Vehicle Injury in Ottawa
Case Number: 13-OVI-223
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVI-223
Mississauga (6 September, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 73- year old female in Ottawa.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 11:48 a.m. on Friday, September 6, 2013, an officer with the Ottawa Police Service was travelling on Elgin Street;
• A short time later, the cruiser struck a 73- year old female and a 48-year old male at the intersection of Elgin Street and Sparks Street;
• The female was taken to the hospital and is being treated for fractures.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Oliver Gordon, Oliver.Gordon@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342