SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Wasaga Beach and is Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 13-PVI-167
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-PVI-167
Mississauga (14 July, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by three males in Wasaga Beach last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On July 13, 2013, at about 7:25 p.m., the OPP were notified of a minor rear end collision that had occurred involving two motor vehicles on River Road East. One vehicle being driven in an erratic manner, left the scene;
• An OPP officer spotted the vehicle in the area of River Road East and Beachway Trail. The officer activated the emergency lighting equipment on the cruiser in an attempt to stop the vehicle. The vehicle did not stop and accelerated away at a high rate of speed;
• Within a very short distance, the vehicle lost control driving off the roadway, rolled over and crashed into a house;
• Five occupants were in the vehicle and all five were transported by ambulance to the General Marine Hospital in Collingwood for treatment;
• Two male parties have since been released from hospital, one 25 year old male remains in hospital in Collingwood and two males aged 25 and 28 years of age have since been airlifted to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto with numerous fractures.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1998 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1998.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342