SIU Investigating Vehicle Death in Ottawa
Case Number: 13-OVD-239
Mississauga (2 October, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal vehicle collision in Ottawa early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 4 a.m. on Wednesday, October 2, 2013, an Ottawa Police Service officer traveling eastbound on Laurier Avenue noticed a vehicle driving westbound;
• The officer decided to follow the vehicle;
• A short time later, at the intersection of Bank Street and Laurier Avenue, the vehicle being followed was involved in a collision with another vehicle. An occupant of this second vehicle was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342