SIU Investigating Vehicle Death in Ottawa
Case Number: 13-OVD-239
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVD-239
Mississauga (2 October, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal vehicle collision in Ottawa early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 4 a.m. on Wednesday, October 2, 2013, an Ottawa Police Service officer traveling eastbound on Laurier Avenue noticed a vehicle driving westbound;
• The officer decided to follow the vehicle;
• A short time later, at the intersection of Bank Street and Laurier Avenue, the vehicle being followed was involved in a collision with another vehicle. An occupant of this second vehicle was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342