SIU Investigating Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TFD-265
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-265
Mississauga (13 November, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man this afternoon in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 13, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an address on Sherbourne Street near Wellesley Street regarding an unwanted male;
• Officers spoke with a male. A short time later, the Emergency Task Force was called;
• At approximately 1:45 p.m., a firearm was discharged and the man was fatally struck.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1925.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342