SIU Investigating Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TFD-265
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-265
Mississauga (13 November, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man this afternoon in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 13, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an address on Sherbourne Street near Wellesley Street regarding an unwanted male;
• Officers spoke with a male. A short time later, the Emergency Task Force was called;
• At approximately 1:45 p.m., a firearm was discharged and the man was fatally struck.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342