SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Oakville
Case Number: 13-OFD-276
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OFD-276
Mississauga (18 November, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 22-year-old man early this morning in Oakville.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10:45 p.m. on Sunday, November 17, 2013, police received a call that led officers with the Halton Regional Police Service to attend a residence on Oak Springs Road;
• Officers found a man seated in a vehicle a few houses away from the residence. The man exited the vehicle and there was an interaction. Officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck. His death was pronounced shortly after midnight.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1925.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342