SIU Investigates Falling Death in Welland
Case Number: 13-OCD-291
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OCD-291
Mississauga (2 December, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the falling death of a 46-year-old man in Welland yesterday.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 5 p.m. on December 1, 2013, Niagara Regional Police Service officers attended a bridge at East Main Street and Niagara Street in response to a report of a male climbing the bridge;
• An attempt was made to speak with the man;
• A short time later, the man fell from the bridge to the road below. His death was pronounced at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to the investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957 or 416-622-1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342