SIU Investigates Toronto Falling Death
Case Number: 14-TCD-004
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TCD-004
Mississauga (8 January, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 22-year-old woman in Toronto this afternoon.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday, January 8, 2014, Toronto Police Services officers attended an apartment building at 330 Dixon Road to speak with a woman on the 25th floor;
• At some point, the woman fell from the apartment unit to the ground outside the building;
• Her death was pronounced at the scene.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to the investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 1965 or 416-622-1965.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342