SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Ajax
Case Number: 14-OVI-012
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVI-012
Mississauga (14 January, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the vehicle injuries sustained by a 20-year-old man early this morning in Ajax.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On January 14, 2014, at approximately 3:20 a.m., officers with the Durham Regional Police Service attempted to stop a vehicle;
• A short time later, the vehicle was involved in a collision with another vehicle on Chapman Drive near Kingston Road;
• The 20-year-old driver of the vehicle being investigated by police had to be removed by firefighters using the Jaws of Life. He was taken to hospital with head injuries and then transferred to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for further treatment. Injuries to the driver of the other vehicle were minor.
The SIU has assigned six investigators, four forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342