SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Death on QEW in Burlington
Case Number: 14-PVD-021
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PVD-021
Mississauga (21 January, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 36-year-old male in Burlington early this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• In the early morning hours of Tuesday, January 21, 2014, officers with the Ontario Provincial Police were assisting with maintenance operations on the westbound QEW;
• At approximately 2:30 a.m., a red Toyota Matrix collided with the rear of a transport truck at Walkers Line in Burlington;
• The driver of the Matrix was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342