SIU Investigating Toronto Custody Death
Case Number: 14-TCD-032
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TCD-032
Mississauga (3 February, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 51-year-old man in Toronto this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Toronto Police Service officers attended at an apartment building at 238 Bonis Avenue for a reported domestic call;
• At some point, the male fell from an apartment unit to the ground outside the building;
• He was transported to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, where later he was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and three forensic investigators to the investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 9023.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342