SIU Investigating Pedestrian Fatality in Scarborough
Case Number: 14-OVD-037
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVD-037
Mississauga (13 February, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of an 18-year-old female pedestrian struck last night by a vehicle in Scarborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following;
• At approximately 8:20 p.m. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014, a female was crossing St. Clair Avenue East (west of Warden Avenue) in a north to south direction;
• While in the street, she was struck by an unmarked vehicle being driven eastbound by an on-duty York Regional Police officer;
• The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned seven investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident. The post mortem is scheduled to take place today.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident - including those who might have been riding a TTC bus in the area at the time – is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342