SIU Investigates Single Vehicle Fatality in Ottawa
Case Number: 14-OVD-040
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVD-040
Mississauga (17 February, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a single car fatality in Ottawa early this morning after Ottawa Police attempted to initiate a traffic stop.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Sometime after midnight on Monday, February 17, 2014 police attempted to initiate a traffic stop in the Trim Rd. area;
• A short time later the vehicle was involved in a single motor vehicle accident.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Keith Woods, Keith.Woods@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342