SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TVD-052
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TVD-052
Mississauga (27 February, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of an 81-year-old male in a vehicle collision in Toronto.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Wednesday February 26, 2014, at 4:45 p.m. an unmarked police vehicle being driven by an officer with the Toronto Police Service was involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle near York Mills Road and Upjohn Road.
• The driver of the civilian vehicle suffered serious injuries and was transported to North York General Hospital
• He was later transferred to St. Michael’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, one forensic investigator and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342