SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Georgina
Case Number: 14-OVI-063
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVI-063
Mississauga (10 March, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the vehicle injuries sustained by a 55-year-old man early Sunday morning in Georgina.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Sunday March 9, 2014, at approximately 12:30 a.m., an officer with the York Regional Police stopped a snowmobiler for an investigation.
• As the officer approached, the snowmobiler drove away.
• A short time later, the snowmobile was involved in a collision with the police vehicle.
• The driver of the snowmobile suffered a serious injury and was transported to Uxbridge Cottage Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342