SIU Investigating Injury Sustained by Man in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TVI-068
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TVI-068
Mississauga (19 March, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a serious injury sustained by a 31-year-old man in Toronto last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Officers with the Toronto Police Service in an unmarked vehicle were in the area of Kingston Road and Midland Avenue investigating a man alleged to be breaking into parked vehicles.
• The officers identified themselves and the man fled on foot.
• Officers in the unmarked vehicle followed the man a short distance and there was contact between the man and the police vehicle.
• The man suffered a serious injury and was transported to Toronto East General Hospital for treatment and later released back into police custody.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1988.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342