SIU Investigates Death of Male in Hamilton
Case Number: 14-OCD-070
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCD-070
Mississauga (20 March, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 41-year-old man in Hamilton last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 19, 2014, officers with the Hamilton Police Service were contacted about a possible suicidal man.
• Police responded to 55 Woodman Drive, in Hamilton and members of the Emergency Response Unit attempted to speak with the man.
• Officers later entered the residence and found the man with an apparent gunshot wound and vital signs absent.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1988.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342