SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Guelph Collision
Case Number: 14-OVI-073
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVI-073
Mississauga (24 March, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to a collision yesterday between a Guelph Police Service (GPS) cruiser and a civilian vehicle in Guelph. The collision resulted in a serious injury to a 30-year-old woman.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Sunday March 23, 2014 at approximately 4:50 p.m., a GPS officer driving a marked cruiser travelling west bound on Clair Road West, was involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle.
• The civilian vehicle was exiting the Clairfield Commons plaza between the Starbucks Coffee and the Toronto Dominion Bank.
• The 30-year-old driver of the civilian vehicle was transported to Guelph General Hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342