SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Brampton Courthouse
Case Number: 14-OFD-077
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OFD-077
Mississauga (28 March, 2014) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man in the A. Grenville and William Davis Courthouse this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 11:00am this morning a man entered the A. Grenville and William Davis Courthouse located at 7755 Hurontario Street in Brampton;
• The man discharged a firearm reportedly injuring a Peel Regional Police Service (PRPS) officer;
• There then was an interaction involving officers with the PRPS and the man;
• During the interaction a PRPS officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck and has been pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned fifteen investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342