SIU Investigates Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TVI-084
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TVI-084
Mississauga (9 April, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 33-year-old man late last night in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Tuesday, April 8, 2014, at approximately 11:40 p.m. an officer with the Toronto Police Service attempted to stop a vehicle on Queen Street in Toronto.
• The vehicle was later involved in a collision and rolled over in a parking lot on McCaul Street, north of Baldwin Street.
• The driver of the vehicle suffered serious injuries and was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342