SIU Investigates Man’s Death in Timmins
Case Number: 14-OCD-092
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCD-092
Mississauga (25 April, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of 56-year-old, Paul Mattinas, in Timmins earlier this week.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 7:00p.m. on Monday, April 21, 2014 Mr. Mattinas was taken into custody by an officer with the Timmins Police Service and was transported to the police station.
• He was later taken to the Timmins District Hospital and admitted.
• At some point Mr. Mattinas checked himself out of hospital.
• The following morning at approximately 7:00 a.m., Mr. Mattinas was found deceased near 85 Spruce Street North.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 9040.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342