SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Custody Injury in Kitchener
Case Number: 14-OCI-090
Mississauga (1 May, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an incident which took place on September 14, 2013.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 14, 2013, on Highland Road West at West Avenue, and at 29 West Avenue, Kitchener a 43-year-old man was involved in an interaction with officers with the Waterloo Regional Police Service.
• As a result of the interaction the man suffered a serious injury to his arm.
The SIU has assigned three investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed or who have any information about this incident is asked to contact the Special Investigations Unit at 1-800-787-8529 or 416-622-1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342