SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Death In Renfrew
Case Number: 14-PVD-096
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PVD-096
Mississauga (1 May, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in a single vehicle collision earlier this afternoon.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 1:10p.m. this afternoon, officers with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Renfrew Detachment attempted to stop a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed.
• The driver of the vehicle did not stop and was later found to have been involved in a single vehicle collision near 2126 Stone Road in Renfrew.
• The male driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342