SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Tosorontio near Nottawasaga
Case Number: 14-PVI-102
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PVI-102
Mississauga (5 May, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 50-year-old woman during the late evening of Friday, May 2, 2014 near Nottawasaga.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 9:20 p.m. on Friday, May 2, 2014, an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Nottawasaga Detachment was on County Road 15. In an attempt to stop a pick-up truck that was traveling in the opposite direction, the officer made a U-turn and followed the truck.
• A short time later, the officer came upon a collision involving the pick-up truck and a second vehicle at Sideroad 15.
• The female passenger of the second vehicle suffered a serious injury to her arm and was treated in hospital in Alliston. The two male drivers were treated at hospital for minor injuries. All have been released from hospital.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Kaia Werbus, Kaia.Werbus@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342