SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Brantford
Case Number: 14-OVD-105
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVD-105
Mississauga (8 May, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the vehicle injuries sustained by a 75-year-old woman and a 75-year-old man last night in Brantford.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at approximately 7:09 p.m., an officer with the Brantford Police Service was travelling northbound on Clarence Street in a marked cruiser.
• At the intersection of Clarence Street and Greenwich Street, there was a collision between the officer’s cruiser and a civilian vehicle that was travelling southbound on Clarence Street.
• Both occupants of the civilian vehicle were transported to Brantford General Hospital for treatment of serious internal injuries.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1886.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Kaia Werbus, Kaia.Werbus@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342