SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Oro-Medonte Township
Case Number: 14-PVI-119
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PVI-119
Mississauga (29 May, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the vehicle injuries sustained by a 27-year-old man yesterday afternoon.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On the afternoon of Wednesday, May 28, 2014 an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Southern Georgian Bay Detachment, attempted to stop a motorcycle travelling southbound in the area of Line 2, Oro-Medonte Township.
• The motorcyclist did not stop.
• A collision involving a police vehicle and the motorcycle occurred at the intersection of Line 2 and Mount St. Louis Road West.
• The motorcyclist suffered serious injuries and was initially taken to Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie, and later transferred to Sunnybrook Hospital.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1886.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342