SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Fatality
Case Number: 14-OVD-128
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVD-128
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 11:17 p.m. on Saturday, June 14, 2014, an officer with the York Regional Police (YRP) was driving a marked police cruiser on Queensville Side Road between Woodbine and Leslie.
• A motorcycle and the cruiser collided head on and the driver of the motorcycle is deceased.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342