SIU Investigating Custody Injuries in Hamilton
Case Number: 14-OCI-142
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCI-142
- On Tuesday, July 1, 2014, at approximately 9:00 p.m., officers with the Hamilton Police Service (HPS) responded to a call in relation to an intoxicated man in the area of Stinson Street and Erie Avenue.
- The man was on a Hamilton Street Railway Bus and reported to be fighting with other passengers.
- During the process of arrest, there was an interaction involving the man and HPS officers.
- He was transported to the Hamilton Police Station when it became known that he had suffered an injury.
- He was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital and diagnosed with a fractured femur and ankle.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342