SIU Investigates Shooting in Newmarket
Case Number: 14-OFI-163
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OFI-163
- At approximately 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 22, 2014, York Regional Police (YRP) officers responded to a call in the area of Davis Drive and Lorne Avenue in Newmarket.
- There was an interaction between YRP officers and the man, who was reportedly in possession of a firearm.
- During the interaction YRP officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck.
- He was transported to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342