SIU Concludes Injury Investigation in Pembroke
Case Number: 13-PCI-315
- On the evening of the day in question, the subject officer and two witness officers attended a unit in an apartment complex on McKay Street to make an arrest in relation to a domestic matter.
- Present at the time in the unit were the resident of the apartment and two of his acquaintances, one of whom was wanted in relation to the domestic matter and the other, who eventually came to be injured (the “complainant”).
- The three men had been drinking and had gathered at the apartment to celebrate Christmas.
- The officers moved in to take custody of the man involved in the domestic matter and, following a brief struggle, managed to secure him in handcuffs.
- The subject officer was just getting up from his struggle with the man on the ground when the complainant approached and hit him in the head with his right hand.
- The subject officer told the complainant he was under arrest for assault and took hold of the complainant’s right arm.
- The complainant adopted an aggressive posture. The subject officer noticed that the complainant was holding a beer bottle in his left hand and, fearing that the complainant was about to strike him with it, punched the complainant’s face with two left jabs.
- The officer then grounded the complainant and handcuffed him. Standing the complainant up, the subject officer noticed there was blood on his face.
- The complainant was taken to hospital for treatment and was released.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342