SIU Investigates Death of Man in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 14-OCD-178
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCD-178
Preliminary information indicates the following:
· At approximately 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, August 2, 2014, Thunder Bay Police Service (TBPS) officers arrested a 44-year-old-man in an intoxicated condition in violation of a court order.
· The man was incarcerated at the police station.
· Sometime before 3:00 a.m. this morning, it was noticed by police that the man in his cell was in some form of medical distress and an ambulance was called.
· Emergency medical responders attended to the man however he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342