SIU Investigates Death of 22-year-old-man in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TCD-180
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TCD-180
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- Early this morning, on Monday, August 4, 2014, a Toronto Police Service (TPS) officer was on duty at a concert at Downsview Park.
- The officer observed two people carrying a man and went to assist.
- The officer requested an ambulance respond to treat the man as the man appeared to be in medical distress.
- While Emergency Medical Responders (EMS) tended to the man, he became violent and had to be restrained by the EMS staff with assistance of the police and the man was handcuffed.
- The man was being treated in the ambulance and the handcuffs were removed. While the man was being transported by ambulance to the hospital, he became vital signs absent and was pronounced deceased.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2150.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342