SIU Investigates Death of Male in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 14-OCD-186
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OCD-186
Mississauga (11 August, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 38-year-old man in Thunder Bay this morning.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• Shortly before 3:00 a.m. on Monday, August 11, 2014, officers with the Thunder Bay Police Service (TBPS) responded to a domestic call at an apartment in the 400 block of Donald Street West.
• On their arrival, officers found an injured woman and her critically injured 8-year-old daughter. The injured woman reportedly indicated that the man who had inflicted the injuries had left the residence.
• At approximately 7:30 a.m. the man was located by police in a parked vehicle on Wharton Road.
• The man was taken into custody and it became apparent that he had suffered serious injuries.
• He was transported to Thunder Bay Regional Hospital for treatment, where he was later pronounced dead.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information about this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1925 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1925.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342