SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Incident in Brampton
Case Number: 14-OCI-214
Mississauga (23 September, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is appealing for witnesses to an incident in which a 36-year-old man suffered a serious injury.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- At approximately 12:10 a.m. on Saturday, September 20, 2014, the man was riding his bicycle at the intersection of Queen Street and Kennedy Road, in Brampton.
- He suffered a serious injury as a result of an interaction with a Peel Regional Police Service officer and was taken to Brampton Civic Hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2290 or 416-622-2290.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342