SIU Investigates Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TVI-217
Mississauga (25 September, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 22-year-old woman this morning in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On Thursday, September 25, 2014, at approximately 9:45 a.m., Toronto Police Service officers were interacting with the occupants of a vehicle at the intersection of King Street East and Jarvis Street, in Toronto.
- The driver of the vehicle fled southbound on Jarvis Street to the Esplanade.
- The vehicle struck a female pedestrian who sustained serious injuries as a result.
The SIU has assigned six investigators, two forensic investigators, and one collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident or may have information about the incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342